Drill Halls

Drill Halls

Drill Halls

Where The Troops Paraded

Locations were needed for units to parade in and these have developed over the years. When the Territorial Forces was formed in 1908 they took over the Rifles Volunteer and Militia barracks. Many of these were found to be inadequate and many new Drill Halls were built. Drill Halls generally consisted of office and storage space, a large hall for drill and training and generally a social club. Larger Drill Halls had Officers' and Sergeants' messes and had an indoor .22 range. Most locations had access to a full bore range, but often only a 25 yard zeroing range.


  • The old Militia Barracks building in Harold Street Hereford which became the Headquarters of the Herefordshire Regiment in 1908.

  • The old Rifle Volunteer Corps barracks in Friars Street Hereford

  • Bromyard Drill Hall - a small platoon location

  • Kington Drill Hall

  • Ledbury Drill Hall 1910s and 1970s

  • Leominster Drill Hall

  • Ross On Wye Drill Hall